The Rwanda Chronicles

Here is a virtual space to help me remember my adventrues and for you to ask questions, keep in touch and of course send love!!

Sunday, October 16, 2011

rwanda chronicles continued

10/14/11
            It’s been a few days since I last wrote. This week was pretty busy. First of all the museum trip to Butare was not what I had thought it would be. This particular museum did not in fact have a section that held bodies from the genocide. We ended up having to pay 3000 Rwandan franks to get it for a 2 hour tour that should have only taken 30 minutes max. It was kind of a let down museum-wise, but the city of Butare is pretty cool. We went to an ice cream store!!!!! It was fabulous! Their slogan was ice cream, cookies and dreams! What other place could you think of going to in Rwanda!?
            Some highlights for the week? First is the tale of Boraccio the spider. Boraccio was a spider that I named that lived in my room for about a week before tragedy struck. We had been co-habitating together for a while and everything seemed to be ok as long as he did not try to come anywhere near my bed. Unfortunately, a few days ago, Boraccio broke our agreement and tried to go for my bed. I had to. I threw my sandal at the wall, hit Boraccio and there he fell, and there on the floor he was dead.
            Second event of the week: Boobs; lost in translation. The other day some girl friends and I got some cokes during our break in language class. In Rwanda, when you take a coke, you have to return the bottle once you’re done. During my return visit, there was a group fo 4 middle-ages women in the boutique. One of them was eagesrly trying to communicate with us in child-Kinyarwanda and during this encounter decided to grab my boob. Not a gentle, accidental graze like when motioning to something far away, but a legit -- fully cupping boob-grab and then proceeded to make milking gestures. It was one of the more bizarre moments of my life; even beating being propositioned by two female prostitutes in France!
*** Just got a message from Sarah DeMola, in my inbox miss you girl!***
            Today was a big day. We got our site announcements today! Meaning that we were told where we’ll be stationed for the next two years! I’m going to be in the Western province about 30 minutes away from the gorgeous Lake Kivu!!! Pretty wonderful! Also, bonus! I’m going to be replacing a volunteer, which means I get an American tour guide and furtniture! We are going on site visits next week to check out our school, meet our headmaster and community and I’m extremely excited!!!! I also found out that I will be stationed in a Teacher Training Center. I’ll be teaching students who have completed 9 year basic education and want to become English teachers in Rwanda! The reality of what I and other volunteers are doing here is sinking in very quickly. In a little over a month we move to our sites for two years. In the grand scheme of life, two years doesn’t seem like a large portion, but being so far away from family, friends and familiarity of the American lifestyle makes it seem like an eternity.
            Hoping to get better internet tomorrow. While this modem with sim card “functions”, it doesn’t really do the job. Going to make awkward conversation. Talk soon.

1 comment:

  1. I love the random shout-out right after the boob-grabbing story lol.

    Misssssss you. Guess what? I am with Eliz right now and she misssssessssssss you too (:

    xoxo
    Sarah & Eliz

    ReplyDelete